PR in Saskatchewan for International Students

23 min read

Saskatchewan - PR in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan is one of the best provinces in Canada for international students in Canada to apply for a PR for, in Saskatchewan, the process is quite straightforward and easy to navigate. The Saskatchewan government wants to attract bright foreign workers and international students to settle in Saskatchewan. 

If you are an international student planning to apply for PR in Saskatchewan, you can apply through the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP).  SINP has three categories that you can apply under: International Skilled Worker, Saskatchewan Experience, and Business Immigration.

Before we delve deeper into permanent residence in Saskatchewan, let’s learn a bit more about Saskatchewan.  

Saskatchewan at a glance:

Saskatchewan is one of the prairie provinces in Canada. Alberta borders it on the west, Northwest Territories on the north, Manitoba on the east, and the US states of Montana and North Dakota to the south. This province is Canada’s sixth populous and Fifth largest province. Its inhabitants are conscious of changing patterns of light and shadow on clouds and magnificent sunrises and sunsets due to its unique landscape. 

Saskatchewan at a glance

Even though two-thirds of the province is plain, one-third is beautifully covered by rolling hills and numerous bodies of water. The flat grasslands of Saskatchewan, which produce wheat, earned its nickname as “Canada’s Breadbasket.” 

Cost of living for students: 

The cost of living in Saskatchewan is very affordable. The average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment in Saskatoon and Regina is $803 and  $954 respectively. The minimum wage in the province is $11.45/hr, increasing to $11.81/hr on Oct. 1, 2021.

Student Scholarships: 

There aren’t many scholarships for international students planning to enroll at undergraduate, graduate, or Ph.D. level by the Saskatchewan Provincial Government. However, there are many scholarships for Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents:

  1. Scholarships


Top Growing Industries in Saskatchewan:

These industries will create more jobs in Saskatchewan in the coming years. So, graduating with a relevant degree in any of these fields will provide you with an upper hand in securing a well-paying job and later applying for a PR in Saskatchewan.

  • Agriculture and Agri-value 

  • Energy 

  • Forestry Development 

  • Life Sciences and Biomass

  • Manufacturing 

  • Mineral Exploration and Mining 

  • Minerals

  • Oil and Gas

Source: Saskatchewan key Economic Sectors

Interesting Facts about Saskatchewan

Interesting Facts about Saskatchewan:

  1. Saskatchewan is one of the world’s largest exporters and producers of Potash. More than 95% of potash produced in Saskatchewan is used as fertilizer.

  2. It produces 54% of Canada’s wheat. 

  3. Curling is the provincial sport of Saskatchewan. Their curling team has won three Canadian and one World women’s championships. 

  4. It has two national parks: Prince Albert National Park and Grassland National Park. 

  5. Regina airport was the first commercial airport opened in Canada, in 1928.

  6. The lakes of Saskatchewan have large amounts of big fish. The largest fish ever caught in Saskatchewan was a Lake Sturgeon that weighed 260 pounds. 

  7. The green upper colour of Saskatchewan’s flag represents northern forests and the golden colour of the lower half of the flag represents the grain fields in the south.  

Top Universities and Colleges in Saskatchewan:

Top universities or colleges in Saskatchewan
Name Town
University of Saskatchewan Saskatoon
University of Regina Regina
Luther College at the University of Regina Regina
First Nations University of Canada Regina
St Thomas More College Saskatoon
Champion College at the University of Regina Regina

Cheaper Universities or Colleges in Saskatchewan for International Students:

  1. Great Plains College 

  2. Northwest College

  3. Saskatchewan Polytechnic 

  4. St. Peter’s College

  5. Eston College

  6. Nipawin Bible College 

  7. Parkland College 

  8. First Nations University of Canada

  9. University of Saskatchewan 

  10. University of Regina 

PR in Saskatchewan

PR in Saskatchewan 

Application for PR in Saskatchewan is straightforward and easy. If you are planning to apply for PR in Saskatchewan, you can choose any of the four categories listed below, and apply through the Saskatchewan Nominee Program (SINP). Please note that there are many substreams for each category. The categories are:

  1. International Skilled Worker 

  2. Saskatchewan Experience 

  3. Business Immigration

  4. Farm Owner and Operator  

1. International Skilled Worker:

You can apply in this category of PR, in Saskatchewan, under any of these three substreams. The substreams are:

  1. Employment Offer: You can apply for this stream if you have a job offer for a skilled occupation in Saskatchewan. Candidates in and outside Canada may apply in this sub-stream. 

  2. Occupations In-demand: This is for skilled workers who currently don’t have a job offer in Saskatchewan, for in-demand occupations. 

  3. Saskatchewan Express Entry: It is for skilled workers who want to live and settle long-term in Saskatchewan and are in the Federal Express Entry Pool. 

2. Saskatchewan Experience Category:

PR applications in Saskatchewan in this category can be submitted using any of the six sub-streams. The sub-streams are:

  1. Skilled Worker with existing work permit: You can apply in this stream if you have worked in Saskatchewan for at least six months.

  2. Semi-skilled Agriculture worker with existing work permit: It is for semi-skilled agriculture workers with a valid work permit and who have been working in Saskatchewan for at least six months. 

  3. Health Professionals: This category is for Physicians, Nurse and Other health Professionals who have already been working in Saskatchewan on a temporary work permit for at least 6 months. 

  4. Hospitality Sector Project: For foreign workers who
    • Are currently working in Saskatchewan, on a temporary work permit, through a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
    • Have been working for a SNIP Hospitality-approved employer, for a minimum of six months (780 hours); and
    • Are working in one of the following jobs:
      • Food/Beverage Server (NOC 6513)
      • Food Counter Attendant/Kitchen Helper (NOC 6711)
      • Housekeeping/Cleaning Staff (NOC 6731)
    • Meet the criteria of the sub-category.
    1. Lang haul Truck Drivers: Those long-haul drivers working in Canada on a temporary work permit may transition to a permanent status under this category. 

    2. Students: This substream is aimed at international students and divided into two other substreams. We will cover this in detail here.

    5.1 Students substream: students who graduated from an eligible Saskatchewan Institute:

    If you graduated from any eligible institution in Saskatchewan, you can apply for PR in this sub-stream. To apply, you need to fulfill the following requirements:

    1. Obtained a degree, diploma, or certificate from a Saskatchewan post-secondary educational institution.

    2. A valid post-graduation work permit 

    3. Have worked at least 960 hours or six consecutive months of paid employment in Saskatchewan.

    4. Full-time job offer in your field of study from a Saskatchewan employer. This job should be of:

      • NOC A, B, or 0;

      • Designated Trade that is related to your field of study and requires post-secondary education.

    5. A valid job approval letter of SINP and meet language requirements for NOC C occupations.  

    5.2 Students substream- students who graduated from an eligible Institute in Canada:

    If you graduated from any eligible institution in Canada (Outside Saskatchewan), you can apply under this substream. To apply, you need to meet the following requirements:

    1. Obtained a degree, diploma, or certificate from a Canadian post-secondary educational institution at least eight months of full-time study.

    2. A valid post-graduation work permit

    3. Worked at least 960 hours or six consecutive months of paid employment in Saskatchewan.

    4. Full-time job offer in your field of study from Saskatchewan employer. This job should be of:

      • NOC A, B, or 0;

      • Designated Trade that is related to your field of study and requires post-secondary education.

    5. A valid job approval letter of SINP and meet language requirements for NOC C occupations. 

    Business Immigration - PR in Saskatchewan

    3. Business Immigration

    If you are an entrepreneur looking to either buy a company in Saskatchewan or start your own company, then you can apply for PR in Saskatchewan under these two sub-streams.

    1. Entrepreneur 

    2. International Graduate Entrepreneur 

    1. Entrepreneur: 

    This stream allows entrepreneurs and their family members to settle in Canada by establishing or buying other businesses in the province. Among other requirements, these are the few that you need to fulfill:

    • The minimum net worth of $500,000 is acquired legally.

    • Have entrepreneurial or relevant management experience of At least three years.

    • Have investment of at least $300,000 in Regina or Saskatoon or $200,000 in any other Saskatchewan area.

    2. International Graduate Entrepreneur Stream: 

    If you graduate from an eligible Saskatchewan post-secondary institution and plan to start a business, this stream is for you. Among other requirements, these are the few must fill requirements:

    1. Live in Saskatchewan and at least 18 years old when applying.

    2. Earned a full-time Saskatchewan post-secondary degree or diploma of at least two years in length from a recognized and eligible Saskatchewan institution.

    3. A valid Post-Graduate Work Permit that is no less than 24 months of eligibility remaining.

    4. Lived in Saskatchewan during their academic program.

    5. Obtained a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 7.

    6. Before applying for the nomination, at least own and operate an eligible business in Saskatchewan. 

    7. You own at least one-third of the equity of the company owned by the entrepreneur.

    8. Demonstrate that the business generates enough revenue to cover business operations that are correlated with your employees.

    9. Must sign a Business Performance Agreement with the Saskatchewan provincial government provided to you by the SINP after approval of your application. 

    4. Farm Owner and Operator 

    Looking to start your own farming business or want to work in Farming, then this category is for you. This is for individuals who have previous experience in Farming and want to purchase and operate a farm in Saskatchewan. You can apply for PR in Saskatchewan under any of the sub-streams.

    1. Farm Owners/Operators

    2. Young Farmers

    This topic is not within the scope of this article, so we won’t discuss it here. 

    PR in Saskatchewan for international students

    Graduate Retention Program

    This program was initiated by the provincial government of Saskatchewan to attract bright students in the province. It rewards graduates currently living in Saskatchewan with a portion of tax that they filed with the provincial government. To apply for this program you have to live and file an income tax return in Saskatchewan. 

    Rebate amount of tuition fees:

    1. 1 year Certificate, Diploma or Journeyperson: CAD 3,000

    2. 2 or 3 years Certificate or Diploma: CAD 6,400

    3. 3 years Undergraduate degree: CAD 15,000

    4. 4 years Undergraduate Degree: CAD 20,000

    Eligibility for Graduate Retention Program (GRP): 

    To apply for GRP, you need to fulfill all the requirements:

    1. Already living in Saskatchewan or,

    2. Moving to Saskatchewan

    3. Graduated from an approved post-secondary program and have applied within seven years of graduation. You program must meet the following criterias:

      • Equivalent to at least six-months of full-time on campus study at an eligible institution

      • Your degree must result in a certificate, diploma or undergraduate degree

      • Provide journeyperson certification.

    Please note a graduate (master’s) or PhD degree is not eligible for GRP. You cannot apply directly. Your institution may file the application on your behalf. If you graduated from an institution in Saskatchewan or any province in Canada, then you can apply directly to the Ministry of Advanced Education.

    To know more please visit this website.

    Helpful Resources to know more about Saskatchewan and its Immigration Process:

    Discover Saskatchewan

    Note: Though these documents are for Canadian Study permit application, you can get a gist of possible documents required for your student visa application. Customize these documents based on your own need.
    Card image
    Cover Letter
    Card image
    Forwarding Letter
    Card image
    Student Financial Planning
    Card image
    Explanation Letter of Source of Fund
    Card image
    Explanation on previous Visa Rejection
    Card image
    Source of Fund (For Businessperson as a sponsor)
    SkipissuesTM- Blog Author
    Hey, we are a content team of Skipissues. We blog about anything or everything that students can benefit from.
    You too can join us if you want to write about any student topics. Email us.

    instagram twitter Linkedin email website